<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, January 19, 2004

Anglo-Caucus 

Dear all: I will be posting this week from England and Belgium, where I have come in order to cover the Iowa caucuses. I decided to 'think outside the box' and not hop on the prairie-bound bandwagon with all the other 'journalists.' Rather, I thought: why not provide our readers with some European perspective on the American electoral season's opening salvos. By that I don't mean that I intend to read European coverage of U.S. politics and then report on it. Rather, I mean to peruse the New York Times, the Washington Post, and other traditional American media--but from computers that are in Europe--and then develop insightful posts from those observations. I think it will be an exciting experiment in cross-cultural understanding. For instance: why was my taxi from Heathrow so outrageously expensive--yet the hourly access fee at the internet cafe I'm writing from is so utterly damn reasonable? This and more, folks...this and more.

(And when I'm in Belgium I plan to investigate whether the Flemish and French-speaking Belgians have differing or similar opinions on whether Kerry looks French--and whether that is perceived as a good or a bad thing.)

If anything in these posts looks awry (other than the content) it must be on account of these weird English keyboards.

Happy Caucusing!

Google
WWW AmCop

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?