<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Witches and Goblins 

Anyone who doesn't believe Kerry has the momentum should take a look at the results of the new Pew poll, which has closed to a dead tie after showing Bush with a 7-point lead two weeks ago; and the last three rolling daily Zogby polls, which all show a dead tie; and the latest TIPP poll, which shows a tie after having found a 4-point Bush lead as recently as last week. These three pollsters show Bush pulling a not-good-enough-for-re-election 45%, 46%, and 45%, respectively.

I've recently been thinking back to the '92 election. I was a senior in high school then and didn't know jack shit about politics (although I was generally rooting for Clinton, having moved out of my early-adolescent neo-fascist Republican phase). So I hadn't been following the race closely. It was the day before Halloween, I think; I vividly recall standing in Anna's Italian Deli at lunch, waiting for my manicotti; and I glimpsed an article on the front page of USA Today that quoted George Bush as saying something along the lines of "If these guys get elected, every day will be like Halloween...witches and goblins everywhere..."

The quote struck me as so insane, and more importantly so sad and pathetic; it became clear to me in that moment that Clinton was going to be elected president.

So please, be on the lookout for Halloween-themed jibes from the Bush campaign, and if you find any pass them along. Of course this time around it'll be witches riding nuclear-tipped broomsticks and goblins smuggling WMDs into New York and Columbus, OH; but hopefully the writing will be on the wall, and the outcome will be as good.


Google
WWW AmCop

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?