<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Raise your hand if you hate children. 

Looks like Kerry may be on to the wedge strategy with his new plan to Protect Every Child. Since I haven't read the plan myself, but signed the petition anyway, I can only comment on the symbolism. I too, am a non-rational actor.

The title of the Kerry plan is clearly a Lakoffian attempt to reframe the debate, playing squarely into the "nurturant parent" frame. I'm not sure whether this is helpful or not. I can't remember if the Dems are supposed to get out of that frame or just make it look really good. Post-modern politics is so confusing. Maybe they should have made it the "Your Children Really Are Special" plan in nurturant parent mode, or tried strict fathering with "The Walk-It-Off Act".

Regardless of the symbolic value, I think its a good idea, or at least a gesture at a good idea, for a variety of reasons. Please consider signing.

Next on the agenda: The Defense of Kittens Amendment.

Only after such important legislation is voted on will we have a definitive answer to the question, "Do Republicans secretly hate kittens?".

Google
WWW AmCop

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?