<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 07, 2005

Belated Christmas Tale 

Stand Up and Holla! writes:

For Christmas church services, my family accompanied my Uncle Neil and Aunt Carmen to a Lutheran "barn service" in a suburb of Algonquin, Illinois. The service was held in a fairly massive barn open to the elements, with bales of hay acting as pews. Hot Cocoa and danishes were served (I hate it when people use "danish" as the plural for danishes).

The church's theater club performed a playlet called "A Ragamuffin Christmas."

There seemed to be two priests leading the whole thing - a man and a woman - and the female one referred several times to "The Boy The Christ" when talking about Jesus.

There was a boom box set up to play a Christian rock song during the offertory, but the machine jammed up and the CD kept skipping (possibly due to the freezing cold), so a woman stepped forward and belted the entire song acapella, in a tremulous, off-key voice. The whole thing (I am not kidding) moved me to tears.

On the drive home, the radio played a song called "All I Want For Christmas is for My Soldier To Come Home," and the DJ said something about how the soldiers were the real Santa Clauses, since they had spent the whole year bringing the gift of freedom around the world.



Google
WWW AmCop

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?