<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 24, 2005

God blew up the troops / I made it to Arlington 

This is a story about a 22-year-old from Iowa who got killed in Iraq. His 19-year-old brother, also in the military, killed himself just before the older brother's funeral.

Now which is more sick--this:
About 50 yards away from the funeral, six protesters held signs that said such things as "God blew up the troops." All six were relatives of the Rev. Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas. They contend that God is punishing the United States for bombing Phelps' church a decade ago.

The group has held similar protests at soldiers' funerals in Idaho, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Illinois. It plans to go next to Kentucky.

Or this:

[Sgt. Casey Byers'] hourlong funeral ended with a song by country singer Trace Adkins, written from the perspective of a soldier who will be laid to rest at Arlington.

"I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property," the song blared out to Byers' family and friends. "I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company. I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done. I can rest in peace; I'm one of the chosen ones: I made it to Arlington."

How can "Trace Adkins" really understand the "perspective" of a soldier "who will be laid to rest" unless he lays himself to rest? Why doesn't he blow his brains out in order to improve his creative songwriting? Or why isn't he at least fighting in Iraq?

Google
WWW AmCop

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?