<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

"Much of my decision about what we're discussing these days was affected by an event." 

It's worth pointing out once again that it doesn't really matter whether Bush's approval rating is 38% or 36% or 3%. The "president" is a massively developmentally disabled person who was installed in the White House in a coup. Every time sound is emitted from the rot-hole between his beak-nose and drool-coated chin, it is a huge embarrassment to our country. From Q&A at Hopkins SAIS yesterday (by the way, I heard the audio on Malloy and this prose is heavily airbrushed):

THE PRESIDENT: Thanks for the question. I would encourage those of you studying here to be a part of policymaking for our government. It's -- it is a high honor to serve your country. And my first advice is, never use force until you've exhausted all diplomacy. I -- my second advice is, if you ever put anybody in harm's way, make sure they have got all the support of the government. My third advice is, don't make decisions on polls. Stand your ground if you think what you're doing [is] right.

Much of my decision about what we're discussing these days was affected by an event. Look, I -- during the 2000 campaign, I don't remember ever discussing with people what -- could I handle war, or could my opponent handle war. The war wasn't on our mind. War came unexpectedly. We didn't ask for the attack, but it came. And so much of the statements I make and have made since that war were a result of that attack.
...
Now, if you're going to be the President or a policymaker, you never know what's going to come. That's the interesting thing about the world in which we live. We're a influential nation, and so, therefore, many problems come to the Oval Office. And you don't know what those problems are going to be, which then argues for having smart people around. That's why you ought to serve in government if you're not going to be the President. You have a chance to influence policy by giving good recommendations to the President.
...
I want you to understand this principle, and it's an important debate and it's worth debating here in this school, as to whether or not freedom is universal, whether or not it's a universal right of all men and women. It's an interesting part of the international dialogue today. And I think it is universal. And if you believe it's universal, I believe this country has -- should act on that concept of universality. And the reason I do is because I do believe freedom yields the peace.
...
But if you don't believe it's universal, I can understand why you say, what's he doing, why is he doing that? If there's no such thing as the universality of freedom, then we might as well just isolate ourselves and hope for the best.

And so -- anyway, kind of rambling here.
...
By the way, if you're studying how to achieve diplomatic ends, it might be worthwhile noting -- I think at least -- with the United States being the sole interlocutor between Iran, it makes it more difficult to achieve the objective of having the Iranians give up their nuclear weapons ambitions.
...
The doctrine of prevention is to work together to prevent the Iranians from having a nuclear weapon. I know -- I know here in Washington prevention means force. It doesn't mean force, necessarily. In this case, it means diplomacy. And by the way, I read the articles in the newspapers this weekend. It was just wild speculation, by the way. What you're reading is wild speculation, which is -- it's kind of a -- happens quite frequently here in the nation's capital.
...
Well -- (laughter) -- I take protest seriously. I mean, I -- by the way, I get protested all the time. (Laughter.) And I welcome it. I think this is the great thing about a democracy. There needs to be an outlet. If people feel like their government is not listening to them or doesn't agree with them, there ought to be an outlet for their discontent.
...
A while ago at a press conference, I remember uttering one wonderful piece of wisdom, it's like a dog chasing his tail. It actually didn't fly that good. But, nevertheless, my point -- (laughter.)
...
Q First let me say, thank you very much for being here and thank you for taking questions. I know we appreciate that. I'm a second-year master's student studying international energy policy.

THE PRESIDENT: International?

Q Energy policy.

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, good.

It goes on and on. Enough.

Google
WWW AmCop

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?