<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

a day at the market 

Representative Mike Pence (R-Ind.) on his tour of Baghdad with McCain:



"I, too, find myself leaving my day at the market in Baghdad with a new sense of cautious optimism that freedom might just work for these people," said Pence.


Mike Pence is clearly a bigger man than I. It's hard to admit to such pettiness publicly, but I can't imagine feeling anything like cautious optimism that freedom might just work for, say, these people:



If only I could achieve the magnanimity and lack of contempt for these people that Mike Pence so effortlessly displays toward Iraqis, I would finally be able to sleep at night. Or, maybe, look in the mirror.

What do mirrors look like these days? Does anyone know?

By the way, can anyone describe that particular feeling of horror, emptiness, violation and squalid wretchedness that one has after watching that video? Seriously, I've never felt anything like it. My brother described it as "visual rape". A friend told me it made him want to "ram pickles up his ass and push out a green tarbaby". I think those are admirable attempts at limning the true character of this experience, but somehow they miss the mark. Can anyone help?

Google
WWW AmCop

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?